Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Jay turns 14


Dear Jay,

There you are above, a freshly turned teenager one year ago, and then an image from just a couple of months ago.

The changes that have taken place between those images are staggering to me.  I know you'll roll your eyes at that. ;) You're you and likely don't see it, but wow does life seem to speed up between 13 and 14!  I feel like I am getting to know you all over again.  The fully established teen-age you.  So, just be patient with me and I promise I'll keep striving to be patient with you.  K?

Like, I need to give you space, and I know that.  But maybe sometimes I'm still living in the past a bit and have a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that we may be past the stage where going to the movies with your mom might be the most fun thing in the world? I'll try not to be too mad about the fact that I literally got in to marvel movies just for you and now that I actually am counting down the days till the next one, you don't really want to go with me.

Not mad

not mad

not mad.   ;)


I'm sure you feel like all I do is repeat stuff to you - like "take out the trash"
and "DO YOUR HOMEWORK"

and "do your homework, and do your homework" and a million other repetitious reminders.....

Please, please know that this comes from complete love.  Of course this sounds stupid to your 14 year old brain.  But read this in a few years and maybe maybe it will make a tiny bit of sense....

I want to give you good tools because watching you use your mind (which I think is just brilliant) with these tools is a complete joy to me.  Because I want you to excel in the things your heart is set on and will be set on! Because I want you to know the joy of having responsibilities done and getting ahead! Because you are so much more capable than you know!



We love you, Jay!  You are incredibly important to this family.  I see days when you do not believe this and I would yell it for all to hear, if I didn't know that would be horribly embarrassing to you. ;)



I love your sense of adventure and lack of fear! I love your humor.  I love your straight forward faith. Your rejection of drama and conflict is admirable.

Parts of me wish I could actually remove all drama from your life. Wish I could make school easier.  Wish I could always see that bright smile, and never that downcast discouragement.

But I also know, that if I step back and let you feel, hurt, get uncomfortable, and learn - it WILL better you.  I know our God lives in you.  I know He is working actively in your life! I know he will carry you through, buddy.  As I step back, he will carry you.



As we begin this next year together let's try to keep loving each other well.  Wether that means stepping back, advocating for you, stepping in, hanging out, listening to music, picking guitar songs,  laughing together.  Maybe a few movies? Maybe? ;) I'm in it.




I pray that someday you'll perhaps see all of the behind the scenes stuff - the things I do regularly that are completely fueled by love - and KNOW that you know your worth and how treasured you are.

This year you have shown a lot of strength.
There was the teeth thing (shudder),
figuring out this whole 8th grade keeping up with school stuff (we're going to get this bud..),
Jazz band,
youth group,
A lot of new and learning and plenty of hard.


Remembering 14 years ago today - I worked harder than I had ever worked in my life to bring you into the world.  And that struggle started our slow and steady relationship.  You're one of my best buddies, Jay.  I pray for you daily, and love you fiercely.

Happy 14!

~Mom

No comments: