Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Caleb turns 16

To our dear K,


The memories of 16 years ago are now pretty comfortable.  Like a favorite page in an old hymnal or a song that comes on the radio which you know all the lyrics to.

Our New Years Eve in the hospital.  

The hope and questions.

And your imminent birth.  That we all hoped and prayed would be delayed.....

But your tiny fighting body was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen in my life and somehow I knew we would be ok.

Even through the fog of fear, and a little shock, we reached for hope and acceptance.



Like a slideshow in my mind I see your 1.5 lb body in that plastic enclosure.  I hear the alarms and beeps and ticks.  It's all there, in that space of memory that is still fresh but somehow doesn't seem real.

16 years is for sure a blessing we couldn't have fathomed back then.

Your innocence is a gift - and we all know I don't mean innocence like sweet purity.  The Hutchison stubborn and McCallum temper morphed quite strong in you and we see those things daily.
No doubt there.
But the innocence of childhood that envelops your teenage form.
The things that stay with you much longer than they do with others.
Yes, I can see it as a gift as each year passes.
My little boy.
Maybe there is a Never Land and maybe we will cuddle and sing Veggie Tales for all of my days.
There are much much worse things.


So, my boy.  Sweet 16.
It won't be like pop culture or friends or the neighbor down the road.
It's more of an acknowledgment once again that the giver of life chose to grant our request that snowy night in January of 2003.
As your brother's life faded and you began the roller coaster of fading and rallying - he granted you both life.
Eternal life for Joshua and life with us for you.  We are blessed.  

My heart treasures these things just like Mary in Scripture.

"But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." Lk 2:19




In my 37 years I have seen a few miracles, but this one - YOU - touched me nearer and was so interwoven with my life that I can't help but consider it sacred.

Happy 16 dear boy.  We love you.

Forever treasuring these things in my heart,

Mama

No comments: