Monday, March 20, 2017

A dozen years of Jay

Dear Jay,

You are the most fun pre-teen I have ever met.






 I think those "dreaded teen years" I've heard about are mostly a myth.  At least I think with you they will be.  We aren't there quite yet, and I suppose I could be wrong, but based on experiential evidence we are just going to continue to get closer and have all kind of fun together. 

You are my funny

and my crazy

and my caring boy.



Little bits of perfectionism are starting to break through your previously free spirited nature.  I admire your desire to do everything well, but my heart also aches when I see you struggle with the reality of imperfections in yourself.


Because you know what?  You are enough .  

Keep reaching higher.

Learn more!

Do those things that intimidate you, but are a source of true growth.

Stay up late to finish tough projects.

But never ever for a minute believe that you will be less in our eyes if you happen to fail.


Because see - we want to provide this place for you,

this home,

this love,

 this atmosphere - as a safe place to fail.



Fail and feel our love.

Fail and let us come along side of you and show you how to pick yourself back up.

Fail and watch us guide you - and learn from it.

Heaven knows your dad and I have both had ample opportunity to be an example of failing and moving forward this year.



Because some day - someday very soon, and much too soon for my liking - you will find your wings and you will be off to new adventures without us.  You are no longer our little Jay and I can already close my eyes and see you towering above me.

When that day comes - I pray that you are well practiced in falling well,

winning well,

losing well,

achieving well,

learning from your mistakes well,

knowing where to turn when none of it makes sense.


You are a bright spot in our day and an irreplaceable spot in our family.



Someday that youngest brother of yours isn't going to annoy you like crazy and you may even stop pushing all of his buttons {from my mouth to God's ears...}. ;)

I'm thankful for you, Jay.

You make me laugh and always have some interesting facts to share.

 I love how we share new movie trailers or book releases or songs with each other.

I love how we share complete grogginess and push through our desire for more sleep every week day morning at 5:30.

I love when you ride your bike next to me while I run and you tell me "I can do it" up those hills.

I love that you are patient with K and you are learning more and more the value of sharing life with one who has special needs.  From the deepest part of my heart - this means so very much.

 I love how patient you are with me as you teach me all about your new Wii U games. You just want me there with you, even if I'm super crappy at gaming.

I hope you will want me with you for years to come.



Happy 12th, buddy.   I love you.

Mom






No comments: