Monday, February 26, 2018

Jay is a teenager

Dear Jacob,



I just read the letter I wrote to you on your twelfth birthday and it referenced a time in the future when you would be taller than me.
 Whelp.  Here we are.

You've grown a lot this year - in so many ways!

And here we are.  You are a teenager.  It neither matters if I am ready for it or if I know even what to do with it.  You are 13.

We love you so much and as I feel this tug toward you and push against you I hope and pray I will always make the best choice in the moment.

I love getting to know you at each stage.  And it does feel that way.  You are still our Jay, but growing with your own interests, convictions, and thoughts.  I like it.  I like you.

I know our relationship is far from perfect. Far.  From me *always* being cold and you *always* being hot  - and down the line of all of our differences - we certainly don't see eye to eye on everything.  But I know we remain buddies through all of that.

I hope you know how much I care.  That my constant badgering about homework and Bible reading and taking out the trash (Insert eye roll) - ALL of it comes form this place in me that cares so much for you and wants success for you.  Not just success in you education and taking responsibility - although important.  It's a far deeper passion in my heart that my kids seek Jesus.  Every day.  Every opportunity, dear Jay - seek Jesus.

Thank you for putting up with a total newb when it comes to this teen thing.  I'm login to figure this out.  Eventually.  Like, maybe when you're 20 or something.

I love you Jay. I pray for you daily.



No comments: