Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Spontaneity

I have found over the years that I like routine. I am a creature of habit and I thrive on normality. There is some thing within my 'stay safe' personality that enjoys that.

Lately I have been learning how great it can be to enjoy some simple unplanned fun. I was missing alot in my safe little world. Now, I am talking about some real baby steps here. Nothing big yet. :) I'm talking about an impromptu kite fly on a warm, windy afternoon or making rice crispy bars at 9 pm and enjoying them with Dave (and with out the kids...). Yeah, I know, way past our bed time. Seriously living on the edge!

Maybe some day I will be able to nix an entire days plan and just pick up and go on vacation on the spur of the moment. Or perhaps there will come a time when I will change my whole days routine around just for the fun of it! Maybe. Someday.

Honestly the things that I tend to treasure most in life are the things that are not planned. Being unexpectedly attacked by a one year old and given open mouth kisses, or even a 30 something year old for that matter. Deciding to make some thing for dinner that I've never made before and loving it. Getting a call from friends and doing something fun with them instead of our normal household chores on a Saturday. Going outside to find the first bloom of spring. Those things are planned by some one bigger than I. He has a much better plan always. I really should just give it all up to Him...

So here's to doing some thing completely spontaneous and fun that you will remember and be glad you did. Let me know what you did like that today!

5 comments:

Sarah M. said...

Wendi,
Congrats on having unplanned fun! "Million Pieces" came on when I brought up your page.... Great theme song for us, great memories of an ALMOST rained out concert and dancing in the mud!
Speaking of million pieces... I feel like that best describes my house right now!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

Here! Here! (said like a really large britsh man in the 1800s) ;-)...I agree...routine is great, but I, too, hope that as Tulip grows and grows that she'll be even more adaptable to doing unplanned fun! :-) the things that aren't planned sometimes end up being such amazing blessings...
*elizabeth

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

That was a wonderful post. I too am learning more about embracing life and the fun that each day can offer. I'm not schedule free, but I am not ruled by it anymore either. You have a lovely blog. I am glad I found you and will have to come back and visit again.

Janitor said...

Hi Wendi. I love you. I thought I would spontaneously write you a comment.

Grace Acres said...

Love your post. I am struggling with being spontaneous and not so set in a routine. I added you to my blog list, I will visit often. God Bless