Sunday, February 28, 2021

Jacob is 16

Dear Jay,


Sixteen came a bit sooner than I was prepared for, but that is just a mom thing and we moms always do eventaully process through and deal with it. It used to be that I would look at you and all I could see was a memory of my heart like this


 

Or this...

 

But, I am finally getting with it and seeing reality for what it is. 

You have matured greatly in the last year and you truly are one of my favorite humans.  I look forward to our conversations about politics, music, girls (girl, currently), Life, God, the shows we like, etc.   I know you often see yourself in comparison to your brother Noe and somehow you feel you come out lacking. You are not lacking

Although I still laugh at your jokes and constant labeling that he's the smart one and you're the cool one. ;) Silly boys.
I pray we love you all well and that you can truly see your unique and individual worth. 

You do have great style, ;) a fabulous sense of humor, and admirable sense of wanting things right in this world. Your innate musical talents are a beautiful thing to hear and watching you grow in this area is a joy! 

I'm watching qualities emerge from you that I have not seen much of before this year.  Lots of good things. Your leadership qualities have always been there, but I think there were times you were resistant to them. Like, they have been dormant within you, waiting for their turn to shine in your personality.  I have a few theories, not the least of which has to do with the fact that you were not born an oldest. You were born a little brother. I think you had to choose. Choose to step out of your birth order and into the role God has for you. And I see some good choosing. It is in my prayers often that you embrace fully the leader that God wants you to be and you see the eyes watching you. Responsibility is much, but I know you have it in you to do this well. 

 I am proud of the driver you are becoming (Now that I am finally getting used to the fact that you are a driver). I took note when one of your first interstate experiences was not the best - but the next time you were driving with me you chose to get right back on the freeway instead of taking back roads. It made me happy because I know that I tend to shrink from challenges or potentially difficult situations. And I want better for my kids. I want better for myself and have fought hard to step up and be a good example in that. 

 I know I fail often. I know that so much of the good I see in you Jay, is God, and all God.

In spite of me - God has you and is molding you and working on your heart. Getting a front row seat to this and being your mama is a huge privlege. Thank you for your patience in this process. For not rolling your eyes too bad at my emotions and sometimes cheesiness. ;) 

 You are navigating all of this new in your life well. Some days not so well, but mostly well. It's been a strange school year. Again. I see the struggle But I see you hanging in and continuing to grow. We are proud of you. Very very proud and happy with you. I'm looking forward to another year - watching you continue to be you and strive for all God has for you. Happy happy 16!



 

Also, thanks for always letting me photograph you. ;) 



Love,  Mom

No comments: