Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Noah turns 14

 I'll never forget the peaceful feeling of December, 2006.  The year you came to us. So calm and comforting. 

Finally, by the time you were born, I had begun to learn a really important lesson.  I started to care less about any "how to" books, or well meaning advice given. I turned a blind eye to some of the mess and chaos around me and I held you for hours. 

I remember during some of those times of sitting there cuddling my brand new Christmas baby - trying to think of what it would be like to be your mom when you no longer fit in the crook of my arm.

Well dear Noah, fast forward 14 years and I look up to you 8 inches.  Yes, eight inches.  




But son,  I look up to you in more ways than stature.  I'm humbled to be parenting such a thoughtful and kind young man. I respect who you are becoming very much. 

Of course you have not "arrived",  as none of have. But you know that - and that is part of what I love about you. You know there is always work to do.  

This year has been a challenge and again, we are so proud of you for doing excellent work in school under less than ideal conditions. The way you have continued getting up before 6 am to get started with your work load, even doing it at home, was impressive. Grades are not the highest thing on our priority list, but the fact that we have never had to worry about this with you is a blessing. We see you, we see the effort, we see the result. 

It's neat to observe the choices you are making and friends you connect with.  One day a few weeks ago, when you had some friends over to play your new Zelda game, I couldn't help but observe their interactions with Caleb.  I always wonder with you and your brothers, how Caleb may affect your life. You've always been kind to him, and for that I am so grateful.  But I know it hasn't always been easy.  I know you've had to make sacrifices. On this particular day Caleb had just woken up and went to you and your friends in the porch.  Because of his vision issues he had to get really close to everyone to see who they were. Some were new friends and didn't necessarily know Caleb. I think I held my breath for a minute to see how you would respond.  A thirteen year old boy with a seventeen year old brother with special needs -  there are lots of ways you could handle this.  But you just matter of factly took it in stride and told him who each person was.  And they smiled, let him get up in their faces, and were so kind.  I'm very impressed with this group of guys. Thanks for choosing well. 

I have no doubt you will continue to over achieve and do quite well with the things you reach for. I am a little embarrassed that I can't help you with math at all any more.  And I'm glad you spent the time to teach me binary and base 8 and base 10 and stuff. Sorry if sometimes my eyes glaze over when we talk. ;) I love you dearly.  I am so happy you are in our family. 











I know that your relationship with your little brother has been tough at times too. That's why it has meant so much to me that you have been willing to help him with his school work while we have been virtual. He started going to you more and more this year because you are a great teacher! I know it often wasn't your first choice, but again - I saw you take a deep breath and choose well.  I was so impressed with how well you taught him math concepts.  I was impressed that in the midst of his frustrations, and sometimes fit throwing over it, I could not get through to him and calm him. but you could.  And you did. I am grateful for the love of our family, even in our imperfections. 





Keep being you.  I know you will. You are confident and do not wish to conform for anyone.  I pray you will continue seeking God with your whole heart. 


Love you,


Mom

No comments: