Thursday, June 18, 2020

The church has left the building

Sometime in mid April I saw a little image on social media and it simply read, "The church has left the building". At first I wasn't sure how I felt about that little message.  I mean we all missed meeting together in our church buildings and at that point we weren't sure how long it would be until we would be able to see our people again and worship corporately with our brothers and sisters. There was an empty space in our lives and a little ache.

In the next several days for some reason that little phrase just stuck with me though.  I started to grapple with thoughts about what the purpose of the Church is.  What it should actually look like.  I grew up in church from the time I was tiny.  During most of my childhood if you would say "church" my young mind would conjure up images of a building.  Four walls and a roof.  Sometimes brick.  Maybe a stained glass window or two.  That was my limited definition of church.  It was a place where you learned.  It was a place you were quiet.  It was a place you behaved.  Much has changed in my mind since those late 80's early 90's small town Iowa days.  What a beautiful thing the Church is.

The day the stay home order was put in place by our governor, March 24th 2020, churches were immediately exempt.  We faced no form of "religious persecution" in my mind at all.  Most of our area churches made the choice to take into consideration vulnerable members and compassionately offered alternatives to attending in person gatherings.  Many churches, including ours, offered an online service.  Our particular church eventually moved to also include a drive in service; where our pastor preached from the roof of our church and those who wished to attend drove into the parking lot and could listen  to him from their vehicle radios.

It was difficult - change can be difficult.  It shook us up.  It removed our familiar.  It took adjustments.  But can a shaking up be good?  This time of being under "lock down" has felt like we were being turned upside down and shook up.  Our routine busy was taken away.  Maybe some of our idols were pried from our clenched fists.  It felt weird.  Uncomfortable at times.

"The Church has left the building."

I'm not saying I don't want to go back.  Our state is opening back up.  In the next few months we will, once again, enter those familiar doors and see the beautiful smiles of our church family.  But I want to stay shook up a bit.

Church was when our family gathered together in our living room that first Sunday, not knowing what was going to happen and how long it would be happening.
Church was Dave and Jacob's guitar on our deck and our voices harmonizing in agreement that,
"We'll raise a hallelujah, our weapon is a melody,
We'll raise a hallelujah in the middle of the mystery.
We're going to sing, in the middle of the storm.
Louder and louder, you're gonna hear our praises roar.
Up from the ashes hope will arise.
Death is defeated, the King is alive!"
Church was when Dave humbly served us, his family,  communion that one Sunday.
Church was our yard, and two close friends when the first few restrictions began to lift.  It was tears filling my eyes when I heard our voices sing,
"Is all creation groaning? (it is)
Is a new creation coming? (it is)
Is the glory of the Lord to be the light within our midst? (It is)
Is it good that we remind ourselves of this? (IT IS)

It is.  

Our family, along with a couple of our closest friends reminded each other of this.  Truth.  THAT was church.  In a tender moment we affirmed what our hearts needed to be reminded of.
Church was the next week - when things were opened up even further and our yard was full of beautiful souls.
Bon fire, guitars, frisbee, words, golden sun.
Church was yesterday when I sat down with my sister of color and we talked about race.

The church had left the building. And it landed in our yard.  In our living room. In a coffee shop.

I do believe that corporate organized worship and learning in a church building is important. There's unity and accountability and wisdom.

But I want to stay shook up a bit.  I want to keep a changed perspective.  I want church in my house.  I want church in my yard. I want church in my heart - wherever I am. I want to be a "yes" girl for God.  Yes, I'll drop what I'm doing and attend to the people around me.  I won't worry about my house being messy and I'll extend the invitation.  Not stuck in my young girl ideas of walls and a roof....

Shake me up - pour  me out.  

May the church continue to leave the building, even while we once again begin attending the building.

No comments: