Saturday, May 31, 2008

She's a hero


Miss Bee,
You have seen so many little ones come and go through the doors of your class room. Two years ago you happened to welcome my son. I was scared. He was three and so tiny. All he knew was being at home with me. All I knew was having him safe and protected - always in my sight. You loved him. You saw infinite potential in him. Not every one has been so kind as to have the visions you have had for my precious K. I have watched you over the past couple of years. You would expect him to do things any other little boy could do. Sometimes when I would visit the class room I would be very surprised at your expectations for him. "Take off your coat K", you would say expectantly, then walk away. "Oh, his right side doesn't work very well, he needs help..." I would begin to say as you would walk away. Then I would have to literally hold my hands behind my back as I watched my child struggle with all his fierce, but halted strength. It may have taken him three times longer to do this task than some of the other kids, but he would accomplish it. And then I began to see. The wisdom you have gained as a development delay preschool class teacher is vast and I have learned a great deal from you. You know that allowing them to do things on their own, no matter how long it takes, builds something remarkable and priceless in them. It always cracked me up when I would observe K in your class room and see all of the things he was able to do. Things that, in true manipulative K style, he would continue to let me do for him at home. :) I had no idea...

We value what you have invested in our child. You will always be some one special to us. Now we move on. K's last day in your school was yesterday. We will miss you so much, but we find ourselves experiencing a sweet and eager anticipation as we watch doors open for this little person who we have the privilege of raising. Thank you seems inadequate, but we do thank you. For all you've encouraged him to do, for seeing so much possibility in him, for just loving him. You are a treasure!

6 comments:

dani said...

wendi,
isn't it just God's way to provide miss bee's along the way as "stepping stones" (if you will) for His children...
how blessed k was to have been allowed to happen on to miss bee; and how blessed she was to have happened onto k!!!
love and blessings,
dani

Anonymous said...

here, here!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

We all need a Miss Bee here and there, along the way. She has modeled the heart of a teacher for you all. What a treasure worth celebrating.

peace~elaine

Sarah M. said...

K is very adept at learning people and how they work, and just how much he can manipulate them. He knows he can always count on chocolate and swinging from this aunt!

TheRagan3 said...

From a teachers heart - your words are what keep us going. I hope that you were able to verbalize or write these words to her directly. You wouldn't believe how we teachers carry these kinds of moments with us - they are what get us through the really cruddy days!
I am glad that your sweet boy has had such an amazing teacher.
Erinn

Jackie said...

What a special teacher for an amazing little boy. So beautiful!