Friday, April 4, 2008

I don't want to forget...

The days are long, but the years are short

I have heard this adage so often in the past couple of weeks that I believe it is something I really need to 'get' right now. I've seen it in the comics, I heard it from a friend, I heard it from a stranger, I heard it at the conference we attended last weekend.

I don't want to forget that although I have my moments of being overwhelmed, those moments of pure childish awe and wonder are just around the corner. You know the kind I'm pertaining to: "Mom, I'm going to hide, come find me!" and you find yourself being swept back into a time where just the fact that an adult cared enough to take time out of their busy day to pretend they didn't know where you were and they began to look everywhere for you meant the world to you. "Where could you be?! I know, are you in my clothes basket?...no you wouldn't fit in there. You're under the love seat!! No. Hmmm where are you?!" Little boy giggles are music to my ears. When their joy manifests itself into uncontrollable giggles it is priceless to me!
Last night I had that inevitable thought which always pops into my head after I decided that it would be a good idea to make waffles, pancakes, or french toast. Seemed like a delicious idea at the time. Those are some of my favorite meals. Dave and I worked together to make scrambled eggs, sausage, and waffles. It was great. By the time every one had their food, cups filled with liquid of choice, waffles cut for them, and food consumed, it was getting late and I was feeling very 'done' for the day. That's when the aforementioned thought hit me, "WHY do I make things that 'require' a sticky, difficult to clean off substance be poured all over them?!" I think this every time I make these things. And I still make them. So through my tired haze I began cleaning up little boys, unloading and reloading the dish washer, and scrubbing syrup off from the table, chairs, floor, curtains, blanket, light fixtures (okay, I'm getting carried away, but it FELT like it...). I didn't want to be doing it. I wanted to sleep. The boys still needed to get their PJs on, medicine needed to be given, as well a final bolus of liquid for K. It was in that moment that my sweet K scooted over to me (scooting on his bottom is still his preferred method of getting around. Although he took his first steps, he has to be greatly encouraged to do that) and got the twinkle in his eye that I love. He informed me that he was going to hide and I could see the hopeful expectation he had. I left the syrup. It would still be there for me after the boys were in bed. If it wasn't I would do the happy dance. So, we played.

We tickled and giggled.

We hid and seeked.

I am fearful of experiencing a moment some day of looking back, wondering where the time went, and having regrets. I don't want to let that happen. So I am reminding myself that in the midst of this season, where the demands are many and energy is short, the 'precious moments' (Grandma P's coined phrase for the week) are waiting to be found. I want to remember what it feels like to have a little one climb up on my lap and ask if I will snuggle. I want to remember what it feels like to fall in love with my husband again and again as I watch him as a daddy. I want to remember the sweetness of little people becoming big people and asking the questions that help them figure out their world

So today, as I deal with the sticky spot I missed (I'm never using syrup again!), the dirt granules that I feel under my feet as I walk into my kitchen each day...and still have done nothing about, the little glasses that broke last night...for the second time in 3 days, and the numerous needs that I must meet, I am remembering that the days may be long, but the years are short.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the happy reminder. After a solid week of fevers I am struggling to find the joy. I know it is still there but sometimes it is feels easier to wallow in self pity. I need to force myself to dwell on the joy giving moments and forget the fact that I have not left the house since Tuesday. So pray for me today. I am struggling with the depths of dispare as Anne of Green Gables would say. Love You!
PS is the picture of you that is left when you make comments the picture from my birthday party with me cut out?

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Great reminder, thank you! Have a great weekend :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I am praying for you right now. I so get where you are at. I was there last month. Saying it's hard is putting it quite mildly. You'll make it!
Don't feel like I 'cut you out' of my life becuase I cropped you out of my picture. :) I had a good laugh that you figured that one out. It was the only picture I could think of at the time that was a head on fairly close up shot. I could've kept you in the picture, but that may have been a little weird. :) I've actually changed my profile picture since then. I think I like side shots better anyway... :)
Love you lots girl friend!

gma P said...

The picture of your guys on a walk is SO PRECIOUS!!!(Oh dear, there I went and used that word again.....)
Praying now for the requests you had mentioned.