Thursday, March 6, 2008

At least the sun is shining

I've recently told some people in my life that I couldn't make this stuff up even if I tried. And belive me, I wouldn't want to! Two months ago Dave threw his back out, was hospitalized overnight, in severe pain, and continues to have physical therapy three days per week. On the heels of his back injury he came down with the respiratory flu. You know the one, the nasty bug that zaps you of all energy, leaves you feeling like a truck ran over you several times, and doesn't let up for 7-10 days. We are a kind family and we know how to share. The domino effect tends to happen when one of us gets sick. As one goes down they take the next person with them and as they fall they bowl over the next. We went through an intense 2-3 weeks of this flu as one person after another came down with it. Noe was hit especially hard due to his history with lung problems. He was on 4 different medications to help clear his lungs. I remember taking him to our pediatrician's office, barely able to function myself. I had a fever of about 103, but I knew I needed to get Noe in to see the doctor. Major organs working well are our preference. When he gets sick and it settles into his lungs we act quickly. The family began to recover from the flu. I was not. I ended up with a sinus infection following the flu. Evil, evil sinus infection. Never underestimate the power of sinuses. Next we all came down with colds. Bad coughing exacerbated Dave's back pain... Whew. Well, guess what? This week intestinal issues came to our house. You don't want the details, believe me. Let's just say having carpeting in K and Jay's room makes us very thankful for Dave being able to bring a carpet scrubber home from work. Great perk of the job! So, 2008 has so far been one thing after another after another for us. I'm not sure why we keep getting hit while we are already down. But I know that God has been good in the midst of it all. One thing that has become clear to me is that we so often take our health for granted. When that is compromised we finally get to a point where we appreciate what we had. I'm hoping that in the future I will remember to appreciate what I have while I have it. Lord, I am so thankful that your strength is perfect when my strength is gone... Things that I am smiling about anyway: 1) Noe's amazingly bright smiles 2) Every one starting to feel a little bit better 3)Anticipation of a great date with my wonderful husband 4)Memories of an awesome night out going to Menards and McDonalds (long story, and yes I really have gotten that pathetic, being at home for weeks with sick people will do that to you) 5)Learning a little bit more about God's immense love for me. 6)Giving myself permission to not be okay sometimes.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Wendi, I love your blog. I was laughing and crying all at the same time. An incredible feat I know. How wonderful for you and Dave to get away and be able to learn about each other. I am glad that you are all on the mend. I hope the spring is far kinder to you. I love you guys and hope that we can get together soon!!

Unknown said...

Glad to see you're writing, Wendy. this is a good outlet. And thanks for inviting me in.

Blessings!