Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Educating our boys


 In about five years our kids will be done with K-12 school. I’ve been having a lot of thoughts lately about our choices in education. 

I feel strongly that schooling for our kids is a very person choice and I have deep respect for the choices I’ve seen people around me making for their kids. I see Instagram stories of mamas who are absolutely slaying the homeschool scene and honoring the choices they are led to make. I see amazing private schools helping raise up this generation in great ways. 

I was homeschooled K-12. Dave went to Public school. We prayed and talked at length when we were deciding how our kids would get their education. Part of my brain had a hard time registering that I was sending them to public school, since my schooling was so different than that. Every year we consider each of our boys unique learning situation,  emotional/spiritual well being, and the circumstances surrounding them and we pray over if any changes need to be made. 

We have felt a very clear direction so far each year that having them at western schools is exactly where they are supposed to be; where they are supposed to influence,  bring light,  and learn. While we are wide open to that changing, even mid school year,  so far it has not. 

I am so proud of our boys for being a light in their school. They will not graduate unaffected by the environment and some of the more negative aspects of this choice. I have had individuals in my life who subscribe to an anti public school thought process who will point out the above statement. And I will say that yes,  this is true. 

Here’s what I’m saying though. We, as humans on this earth will not “graduate” from this broken environment unaffected. Grace enters the equation and teaches us about God in our heart break and failures. But on our way through we will hopefully be grasping for any and all who will hear about the One who took our broken and fixes it daily. That brings light to the corner where we are. 

I know I don’t have to defend my position - because all who know our hearts know we are deeply nurturing and we continue to be protective of the boys’ young hearts in their vulnerabilities. 

But now -  I just tear up when I hear about the fruit we are seeing now. Noah straight up shared the gospel in his ap prep English a couple of weeks ago and I believe there’s a light shift in that building. I hear story after story,  and I know many go unseen and unheard, of each of the boys being willing to sit with/befriend/reach out to those who need friendship and light. I pray revival over that building every time I’m there or simply drive by. I’m also sending the Holy Spirit into that building as he works and lives and breathes through my sons. 

Of course there are times they fail as they are learning and forming their world view and figuring out life. They aren't always the light, But the God within them never fails and is always light; can only be light and the darkness can never extinguish it (John 1:4-5).

We’re setting them up for life here and then bolstering them and building them up for the life to come. I don’t believe this particular way of parenting and schooling would go well without our village. And so we have many pouring into them,  on the public school campus and off. Every chance we get we and others pour truth and life and love into them,  and then we send them to do the same. 


No comments: