Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thankful seems inadequate

I wanted so much to show you all some photo glimpses into what has been one of the most relaxing weekends we have had in forever. Some how our camera revolted against us and would not allow us to down load the pictures of our tree decorating, sipping hot chocolate, and sticking little decorations up around our home. So I'll just have to tell you about it. I'm a little sad that this day signifies a close to our wonderful 4 days together as a family. Tomorrow is work for Dave and I, school for K, back to the usual routine. The day before Thanksgiving we went out as a family and picked out our tree. It was a chilly night and one that will be tucked away as one of those sweet memories. We grabbed some supper while we were out and enjoyed a night of just being together. The tree was set up on Thanksgiving day as we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. K was mad at me because he wanted to play with his computer, but I kept assuring him we were having special family time and he would enjoy the parade. Every 5 minutes I heard this, "mom, mom, is it over yet? Mom..." "NO, WE ARE HAVING SPECIAL FAMILY TIME!" :) Poor kid. Jay was fascinated along with me at least. :) There is one thing he continually comes back to for a Christmas gift request; a drum set. He found one in a catalog and stares at it for hours. As he watched the bands play in the parade he looked at the drum players dreamily and stated "Mom, I'm thinking about going in to that." Gotta love a three year old contemplating his future as a drummer. We put the boys down for their naps and began decorating the tree. This year I invested in all shatter proof ornaments. Don't know why it took me so long. :) The thing is - they look glass. They are really pretty, but very plastic. :) Dave and I worked together adorning the tree and took advantage of every opportunity to "accidentally" "get in each others way" and act in ways that would surely embarrass the children. I loved the moment the boys woke up and saw the sparkling tree, all lit up and waiting for their approval. This is where the lost pictures would be really cool to add, because we got some too cute expression - especially from lil' Noe. :) Noe was also in awe of the two nativity sets I had arranged. I was pleased that he immediately knew what they were all about and why we do this. It actually brought tears to my eyes because, well, that's how I am people. He walked over to what had before his nap been an empty cupboard top which now held all kinds of new things to look at. I heard him whisper "beebee JESUS!". It was so sweet. We enjoyed an amazing Thanksgiving dinner at our friends house. It had all of the wonderful elements of a Thanksgiving holiday. Great food, laughter, love, relaxation, and especially thankful hearts. Through out the weekend I enjoyed whipping up some holiday goodies, sticking some in the freezer and, of course, "testing" some out - to see if they were good enough to serve others. :) I also put some finishing touches on some Christmas crafting, designed our Christmas cards, and did a little bit of shopping (although I did not step one foot out on the day after Thanksgiving). :) Oh these next few weeks hold so many special events! I'm a little bit giddy. Can you tell this is one of my favorite times of the year?? :) We are so very thankful.

11 comments:

Rach@In His Hands said...

What a wonderful, love-filled, moments to cherish, family day! The part about sweet Noe pointing out "beebee Jesus" brought tears to my eyes.
Praying that you have many more moments like these this holiday season!

Unknown said...

Darn work. Glad you all were able to relax and enjoy each other. Hope you have some more of them coming up here soon.

Sara@iSass said...

My favorite time of year too! :) Your tree sounds lovely, Are you going to show it off on my linky party the 15th? Or will you not be able to wait that long?
It sounds like you had a wonderful few days, that is such a blessing. I have to say our have been nice too! Last night we all cuddled up and sang Jingle Bells together.

Rachel said...

So glad you had a wonderful weekend! We are going to put our tree up next weekend. I never seem to be able to keep my tree alive for 4 weeks. Where did you get yours? We have the worst time finding a place to get one.

I love cozy home weekends!

SmilingSally said...

These are the times to cherish.

Mel said...

your words are better than a picture, it sounds like an amazingly sweet time!!!

Amanda Hoyt said...

Sounds like ya'll had a wonderful time together.
Hugs and prayers,
Amanda

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

What a great weekend. We relished hanging around the house with Daddy and enjoying the time off.

Jacy said...

So glad you guys were able to enjoy a wonderful holiday week together it sounds so devine and filled with a loving spirit! Wish your pictures worked I'm so sorry about that! I could picture your tree with your words though and it sounds so beautiful

loves :)

Jacy said...

So glad you guys were able to enjoy a wonderful holiday week together it sounds so devine and filled with a loving spirit! Wish your pictures worked I'm so sorry about that! I could picture your tree with your words though and it sounds so beautiful

loves :)

jennifer said...

i love this time of year too!

i can't wait to put our tree up this week.